ON the TRAIL
Flint & Pere Marquette RR
Lake County- Just north of 76th St. the trail uses the rail bed for over a half mile
The Flint & Pere Marquette Railway was formed in 1857 with the goal of connecting Flint with Ludington. The line was completed in 1874, with much rivalry between competing lumber barons. Eber Brock Ward (Ward Hills) was an early president of the company. When James Ludington refused to sell land for the western terminal, Ward accused him of illegally cutting timber. Ludington lost in court and was finacially ruined.
The first cross-lake (Michigan) rail ferries were established on this line from Ludington to Sheboygan, Wisconsin.
In 1879, the F&PM went into receivership, and was consolidated with other lines that eventually became the Pere Marquette Railroad.
Ludington Daily News, column by Sandi Malburg, Nov 20, 2019
|Every effort is made to provide up-to-date accurate information, but errors are bound to occur. Please contact explorer@exploreNCT.info about errors, corrections or additions.|
|Main Index MI Lower Peninsula Index|
|The North Country National Scenic Trail is 4800 miles long, spanning eight states. For more information, visit the North Country Trail Association|