ON the TRAIL
Lake County Railroad
Lake County- North Country Trail follows part of an old rail berm for a short distance east-west just north of Wingleton Road, and again just south of 8th Street.
The Lake County Railroad was built around 1880, with the main line stretching from Branch, north to Sauble and Peacock. Much of the administration was done by Thomas B. Lyon (his sister Kate married E.B. Ward, and another sister Paulina married Justus Stearns). The extended family controlled vast portions of western Lake County.
The rails were 36" apart, making it a narrow-guage line. In 1885 it reported hauling 6 million feet of lumber, with a capacity of 10 million feet. There were nine miles of track at that time.
By 1885, it was owned by Wilson D. Wing (of Wingleton fame). Eventually, the entire line was abandoned.
Pere Marquette Railway
Lake County Historical Society
Life and Legacy of Justus Smith Stearns
Lake County Logging Railroads, p 103.
|Every effort is made to provide up-to-date accurate information, but errors are bound to occur. Please contact explorer@exploreNCT.info about errors, corrections or additions.|
|Main Index MI Lower Peninsula Index|
|The North Country National Scenic Trail is 4800 miles long, spanning eight states. For more information, visit the North Country Trail Association|