ON the TRAIL
Chicago & West Michigan Railway
Newaygo County- southwest of White Cloud.
|On a computer, right click and choose 'view image' to see any photo larger.|
The Chicago & West Michigan Railway consisted of several lines. The branch which the NCT crosses began as the Muskegon and Big Rapids Railroad in 1873. Like many early railroads, it quickly went bankrupt, and in 1876 became part of the Chicago & West Michigan Railway. This line operated until 1899, when it was purchased by the Pere Marquette Railway. This line was abandoned, possibly around 1926.
The fact that this rail bed has remained quite clear of trees indicates that the berm was well-built. Note that the road's nickname was the Fruit Belt Line.
Surprisingly, southern Michigan was noted for growing fruit before the logging era. This line carried peaches and apples to Chicago.
Pere Marquette Railway
|Every effort is made to provide up-to-date accurate information, but errors are bound to occur. Please contact explorer@exploreNCT.info about errors, corrections or additions.|
|Main Index MI Lower Peninsula Index|
|The North Country National Scenic Trail is 4800 miles long, spanning eight states. For more information, visit the North Country Trail Association|